2021 Regional Active Transportation Program Call for Projects
The California Transportation Commission (CTC) adopted the Final 2021 Active Transportation Program (ATP) Cycle 5 Guidelines on March 25-26, 2020 and announced a Call for Projects, with applications due June 15, 2020. Subsequently, on April 29, 2020 the CTC extended the due date for applications to September 15, 2020 due to the COVID-19 situation. For more information, please visit Caltrans ATP Cycle 5 website page.
Senate Bill 1
Senate Bill 1 (SB1) directs $100 million annually from the Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Account to the ATP. When combined with other state and federal funds in the ATP, approximately $446 million will be available in ATP Cycle 5, with $223 million available in the Statewide component of the program, and $3,546,000 available to the SJCOG region in the separate Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) component of the program. This funding will be available in in Fiscal Years 2021/22, 2022/23, 2023/24, and 2024/25.
Regional Call for Projects
Learn more about the regional call projects, funding sources for these projects, project resources, and schedule for submittal by clicking through the tabs below.
SJCOG staff prepared guidelines and a supplemental application to accommodate a combined Regional Call for Projects ATP Cycle 5 funds, Measure K funds, and funding set aside from the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ) for active transportation. These guidelines adapted the latest ATP Guidelines and the guidelines developed for the previous 2017-2021 Measure K Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Safe Routes to School and Smart Growth Incentive Program to suit SJCOG’s needs and the requirements of the different funding programs. These were approved by the SJCOG Board on April 16, 2020 and by the CTC on May 13, 2020. On May 28, 2020, the SJCOG Board amended the Regional ATP Guidelines to extend the application due date to September 15, 2020 to match the statewide application due date, and approved launching the Call for Projects.
2021 Regional ATP Call for Projects Resources
- Regional Guidelines
- Supplemental Application
- 2012 Regional Smart Growth Transit Oriented Development Plan
The 2021 Regional Active Transportation Program includes approximately $18.35 million of various state, local, and federal funding sources:
- $3.546 million from the regional portion of the ATP
- $3.628 million from the Measure K Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Safe Routes to School Competitive Program
- $7.578 million from the Measure K Smart Growth Incentive Program
- $3.6 million from the federal CMAQ Program
- MPOs submit optional guidelines to CTC April 17, 2020
- CTC action on MPO guidelines May 13-14, 2020
- MPO Call for Projects May 29, 2020
- Supplemental Applications due to SJCOG September 15, 2020
- Scoring Committee Review of Applications October 2020 – March 2021
- Projects that were not awarded Statewide funds sent to MPOs March 25, 2021
- SJCOG Staff programming recommendations April 1, 2021
- SJCOG Board adopts programming recommendations April 22, 2021
- SJCOG Programming recommendations due to CTC May 14, 2021
- CTC adopts MPO programming recommendations June 24, 2021